Thursday, December 23, 2010

A tale of bustles and kilts.

So, last night I stayed up way-the-hell late reading Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage by Jennifer Ashley... and that "staying up late" bit says quite a lot, actually, because I had a hella busy day yesterday involving a pre-school Christmas show and present wrapping and bread baking and preparing a roast chicken dinner for my morning-sick friend's entire family. I digress. Suffice it to say that I wasn't in the mood to stay up late at all, believe me... but I couldn't put the book down.

Liked:
1. The heroine was great -- relatable, with genuine-seeming motivations. She was also sexually aware, which makes a pleasant change from all the innocent flowers I've been reading about. ("Oh, my stars. You're so... large! Are you quite sure it will fit?" gets old after a while.)
2. Which reminds me that the dialogue was also great. Parts were quite witty.
3. The cast of characters (the hero is one of 4 brothers, and I'm guessing each one's getting his own book if he hasn't already) were fairly diverse... way beyond the diversity you've come to expect when you hear the phrase "The hero is one of 4 brothers." I mean, the eldest brother is the silent, withdrawn hard-ass. And there is the horse-mad middle brother. And yes the brother in this book is the wild and carefree artist... Damn it! Fine. There's exactly as much diversity as you've come to expect when you hear the phrase "The hero is one of 4 brothers," except that the 4th brother seems to be autistic to some degree (takes phrases literally, has trouble with touching and direct eye contact, is brilliant but unable to understand or display emotions, etc.) And that's new. (Apparently, a glittery hooha can cure all manner of ills.)
4. Which reminds me, I liked that the hero and heroine had to deal with serious emotional hurdles, like alcoholism and miscarriage.
5. They also have to deal with completely preposterous hurdles, like a psychotic artist-doppelganger who tries to "steal" the hero's life. Doppelgangers are fun! Whee!
6. Have I mentioned the kilts?

Disliked:
1. The hero! I'm so, so sorry to say this because I was predisposed to like him. (See: kilts, above. Also, he's the artistic brother with the long hair and the reputation. *ahem* ) But this is one of those books that starts in the middle of the marriage, where we see how the gal and guy have screwed shit up, and how they've Changed and become Better People who are ready for a Real Marriage, you know? And I just didn't get that he'd changed. I mean, he kept mulling over the fact that he'd changed, and how hard it was to change, and the turning point where he began to change... but while he's reflecting on all this, I'm thinking "Dude, don't tell me, show me." Clearly Isabella was easier to please than I am, because she seemed fine with the whole thing.  Whatevs.


2. It's hard to get busy with a bustle. This book was set in the, erm, coughgrumblecough period (Note: Wikipedia says Victorian! ) rather than the Regency Period.  Clearly I know almost nothing about that period, not even its name, so I don't know what was acceptable behavior at that time, and have only the slightest idea of what was fashionable. But when they talk about him pressing his hot, hard length against her... bustle, or his having to unfasten her skirt... and her petticoats... and the tapes that hold her bustle in place, before he can get down to business... well it takes the zing out of the whole thing for me, kinda the way that butt plugs are a total mood-killer for me in contemporary romance. Bustles: Victorians:: Butt plugs: Navy SEALS.

Put that on a T-shirt...  


 3. Loose ends are so... frustrating! Midway through, the author has the couple adopt a baby (who comes to them under verrrrry sketchy circumstances that require suspension of disbelief already). The child is kind of a loose plot device that forces the characters to physically be together more often, and also forces them to deal with a loss in their past. But about 10 minutes after introducing the baby, the author hires her a nanny and hardly talks about her again until the Epilogue. I don't know why this makes me peevish, but it does. I think because she went to all the trouble of setting up this farfetched story to introduce the baby (rather than having her fall off a convenient turnip truck in front of the house), and then absolutely didn't maximize the baby or the backstory to teach us more about the guy's character and how he's changed.

Anyway, those minor issues aside, I really enjoyed the book. Add it to your TBR piles, while I go catch up on last night's sleep.

4 comments:

  1. The Virgin Secretary's Pregnant Tycoon Stablehand Mistress (Firefox hates me today)December 23, 2010 at 7:53 PM

    Three posts. Three posts in a row. I am shamed, SHAMED, I tell you.

    For me, kilts = automatic no. Kilts come with braw lassies and overuse of "canna"... and I can't suspend disbelief enough about the sexiness of someone who doesn't have modern sanitary facilities.

    I have been reading a lot more Victoriana lately, and I don't quite know what to do with it either. I feel like I have a handle on Regency realism (at least the version of Regency that lives in Romance-land), but I don't know what should ping my bullshitmeter in Victorian times.

    BTW, Victorian = Industrial Revolution = suppressed kinkiness = I bet you someone made a mechanical buttplug. Which reminds me, I need to tell you about Meljean Brook's Iron Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reeeeally? What about MJB?

    Remember that these are Victorian kilt-wearers, so... they have modern (c. 1870) facilities, and they wear their kilts with black formal jackets and argyle socks... these are not the "plaids" that serve as sleeping bags *and* towels *and* field dressings *and* daywear, which admittedly sound pretty gross and unhygenic.

    Does that help? No? Because I do think that the sight of a hero's muscular legs is pretty hawt.

    Seriously, I don't even like the WORD buttplug. It's so... descriptive of exactly what it is. Shouldn't there be a euphemism? Maybe I wouldn't find it as revolting if it had a euphemistic name.

    Your job is to find a euphemistic name for buttplugs, and we shall use it henceforth and forever (since buttplugs come up so often in conversation with you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, SHAME, because you MUST POST SOON!

    Mostly because if I don't keep harassing you I'm afraid you'll forget entirely (since you and I share that procrastination/perpetual lateness/forgetfulness of everything that's not screaming for attention tendency), and I am absolutely not equal to the task of writing about what happens next.

    ReplyDelete